Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

If you like oatmeal, I really hope that every now and then you treat yourself to real, homemade oatmeal — it's so much better than packet oatmeal! Packets have their place (e.g., in my desk drawer at work), but be sure to try this if you have a few minutes at home one morning.

I stayed home from work on Monday and decided to make this recipe for breakfast. It's easy, fast, and delicious...but better than that, it's health-conscious too! In your breakfast you have calcium from the milk, veg and fiber from the pumpkin, and whole grain from the oats! And it's low fat and sugar. And under 200 calories per serving. Not a bad way to start the day...just saying!



Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (makes one 1-cup serving)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup skim milk
1/3 cup water
Pinch of salt
1 heaping tbsp. pumpkin
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp. brown sugar (or one Splenda if you prefer a sugar-free option)

Directions:
  • Put the milk and water into a saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Add oats and pinch of salt and continue to stir. 
  • Cook for about 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed and oats are soft. Be sure to stir constantly, especially towards the end, so your oatmeal doesn't stick to the bottom of your pot.
  • Remove from stove and stir in the pumpkin, spices, and brown sugar (or Splenda). Pour into a bowl and add any desired toppings (e.g., cinnamon, dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped pecans). 
  • A Grandma Mitt inspired note: If you're adding dried fruit, I recommend that you first put the fruit in a small bowl, add a little water, and microwave it for about 30 seconds. This steams the dried fruit so it's softer and meshes better in your oatmeal. That Grandma Mitt — what a woman!
My friend Lesia often makes pumpkin oatmeal for her breakfast, so I have to thank her for the idea for this post (thanks, Lesia!). She would often throw all of the ingredients into a container, bring it to work, and then throw it in the microwave for a minute or two until the liquid is absorbed. Genius!

5 comments:

  1. great idea! I'll try it this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. great ideas from both Lesia and you. I LOVES me some pumpkin anything! Definitely trying it this weekend. ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, Shout out! Just had this (again) this morning! And even though I'm making this at home these days, I still use the microwave. Less dishes to wash, and just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I love your blog, thanks for stopping by mine earlier!

    ReplyDelete

One of my favorite things about blog-dom is the dialogue that comes from it. Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...