Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tasty Turkey Chili

In honor of the first day of fall, I decided to make a pot of turkey chili. It has a slightly different flavor than traditional chili and is a nice, healthy option for lunch or dinner! Like most soups and chili, it's actually tastier after being in the fridge overnight.

I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I acquired it about 5 years ago when I was counting Points (it's 4 points for a cup, by the way!).


When possible, I try to buy "no salt added" products so I can season everything on my own. I used no salt tomatoes and corn in this recipe.

My ingredients were lined up on the counter, ready to intermingle on the stove.


Tasty Turkey Chili Recipe (makes about 6 servings)

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey (I used turkey breast — use what you prefer)
2 cups onion, chopped (about 2 small or 1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz. can tomato sauce
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, salt-free
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. sugar
15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn, drained
1 tsp. salt (if you used "no salt" ingredients)
2 tbsp. hot sauce (or to taste)

Directions:
  • In saucepan, cook turkey until it's no longer pink. Drain any fat (if you used turkey breast, you probably won't have much to drain). Into the turkey add onions, 1/4 cup water, and minced garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. 
  • Stir in tomato sauce, undrained diced tomatoes, 1 cup water, chili powder, cumin, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in drained beans, corn, salt, and hot sauce. Return to boiling and reduce heat. Cover and summer for 10 minutes more.

I particularly enjoy eating this chili with a small spoonful of sour cream and a little shredded cheddar on top.

And the ultimate compliment? My hungry, steak-loving, meat-eating fiance said that he really liked it!

4 comments:

  1. Is a serving about a cup in this recipe? When it comes to soup and chili I like at least doubling or tripling the recipe so I have enough for many lunches and dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so. I don't have an exact measurement, but this recipe was about 6 1-cup servings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could it be fall!?!?!?! Recipe looks scrumptious...maybe Dad will try to make it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

One of my favorite things about blog-dom is the dialogue that comes from it. Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...