Friday, February 1, 2013

Baked Brown Sugar Wings

The Superbowl. It's Sunday! It's the 49ers vs. the Ray Lewises!

Fact: Last year's game was a little more exciting for me. My team was in it (and won...ahem!).
Fact: This year I have no stake in either team and will use the game as an excuse to eat delicious, sporty finger food.
Fact: I've had a cold that has overstayed its welcome by about 4 days. It has striped me of my sense of taste! Sad trombone. It turns out that I eat strictly for pleasure.

If you like wings (and I mean wings where you can actually taste chicken, not just...fried), please make these! You will be astonished that they are so tender and full of flavor. And baked! So you're leaving behind all of the calories that oil adds.


Pardon the picture. It was dark when I made these. Low lighting + meat doesn't usually work out too well.

These are absolutely yummy on their own, but if you're the dipping type, you could try something jazzier like the Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce that the original poster recommended. I'm sure it would complement the flavors fabulously!

Let's talk about the source of your chicken for a second. I highly recommend finding yourself a butcher who sells high quality, local meat. And if you do, you'll also have someone to help you out with some of the prep work. I buy all of my poultry at Godshall's in Reading Terminal Market, and they are willing to cut/split your purchases as requested. When I buy wings, I have them split them into two pieces for me, which saves me a lot of time and handling of raw chicken. Just be weary of a "butcher" who won't even split a chicken breast for you!


Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings (serves 3-4)
Adapted from Domestic Fits

Ingredients:
2 lb. chicken wings
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean-up), and spritz the foil with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except wings. Add wings and mix with your hands so the wings are coated with the spice mixture.

Spread wings in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes (use tongs to flip them halfway through).


Click here for a printable recipe! 

1 comment:

One of my favorite things about blog-dom is the dialogue that comes from it. Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...