Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sesame Orange Shrimp

This technique is a must try if you like shrimp. It is a pretty healthful dish, speedy quick to make, and most importantly so tasty! It's even worth me suffering through one of my least favorite cooking chores — peeling and deveining shrimp.

Usually I grill shrimp or add them to a stir fry, but I was in the mood for something new. After some thoughtful Googling, I came across a few recipes (one from Martha, another from Eating Well) that used similar ingredients and techniques. And it's surprisingly light for how fried the shrimp taste!



Serve this shrimp over brown or white rice with a nice side of something green to get a little veg in. Brad and I both loved this dish — B said that it tasted like really high-quality Chinese food (i.e., from a good restaurant). And you don't have to worry about consuming any excess oil a la deep-fry, breading the shrimp, or any of that mess. Eat up, people! 

Sesame Orange Shrimp (serves 3-4)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 egg whites (large or x-large)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh black ground pepper
1/4 cup canola (or vegetable) oil
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

Directions:
  • In a bowl or baking dish large enough to fit all of the shrimp, whisk together the egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
  • Heat about half of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two or three batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp, about 1-2 minutes per side. Try to separate the shrimp as you drop them into the skillet or else they will stick together as they cook. Also, be sure not to overcook the shrimp — they are cooked once they are opaque and turn pink! Use a skimmer or slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the rest of the oil to skillet if necessary for remaining batches.
  • Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and add the orange juice, soy sauce, and sugar. Boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced, about 4 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to the skillet, add the scallions, and toss until coated with sauce, about 1 minute. 

Click here for the printable recipe!

    7 comments:

    1. This is our next dinner...looks fabulous!

      ReplyDelete
    2. wow..looks awesome! I am no longer excited to eat the tuna salad and oven fries I'm making for dinner. Well, actually I am, but I'd like a couple of your shrimp too!

      (and once again, and only because I am currently obsessed with coconut oil, I wonder how that substitution would work?)

      ReplyDelete
    3. It really was tasty. The picture doesn't really do it justice because the lighting was so-so. The shrimp get a nice crispy crust on them from the egg whites, so there's a great texture!

      Coconut oil would probably work...I think any vegetable-based oil would be good probably!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Look how good these shrimp look, I know what I am making, well not today, already got dinner going in the crock pot but for sure tomorrow, thanks so much.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I made this for dinner this week - so easy and delicious. Even my 2 year old ate a whole shrimp (she usually prefers all carbs). I will definately be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    6. That's pretty fantastic Janice! I'm glad people are getting mileage out of this recipe. :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. It looks really delicious.I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this shrimp widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about shrimps,Thanks!

      ReplyDelete

    One of my favorite things about blog-dom is the dialogue that comes from it. Tell me what you think!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...